Thursday 19 January 2012

Butterfly Mind - a playlist from my brain

Warning - this post may infect you with music!

Since my last post I've had earworms on the brain (so to speak) and I decided to try to write down all the ones I heard in one day.  On Monday I had Simon and Garfunkel "Bridge Over Troubled Water" straight up for about 11 hours.  It wasn't annoying though, it was like quiet background music, I tuned it out when I was occupied, but then in quiet moments it was there, playing away.

So, today.  Nothing when I woke up, but on my way to work I checked Facebook and my good friend Megan had posted a Peel Session of Billy Bragg "New England" - so that was number one.



And once I started thinking about Billy Bragg my anthem for recent months - I raised a family in times of austerity "Between the wars" became tune number two.



Number three was thanks to a colleague, who remarked that our new posters reminded her of "Gold" by Spandau Ballet.  And I can only apologise if  I have now infected you, the way she infected me!


Number four - Raindrops Keep Falling on my Head - and I must admit I have a softspot for the Manic Street Preachers cover.  This was also down to the posters at work - and also my desperation to find anything to rid my head of "Gold" - I was ready to break out The Bangles but it proved unneccessary.



Number five - Another poster - a mention of "lazy afternoons" made me think about The Kinks - "lazing on a sunny afternoon..."  A nice bit of escapism on a dull January day.



Number six - I don't know what it was, but it was performed in my head by music box.  I think possibly it was a tune I had in a musical box as a child.  I have no idea where it came from or why it popped up.   In lieu of a link to it, here is the awesome, mathegician Vihart with Pachelbell's Canon.  (And check out her doodling in math class series - LOVE her!)



Number seven - boasting to a colleague at lunch about Mr C's proud performance as a sheep in the pre-school Christmas play, I also waxed lyrical about the talents of the robins.  They performed to this, and it was instantly back in my head:



Number eight - Shelving a copy of "About a Boy" by Nick Hornby I became haunted by - not Badly Drawn Boy as you might expect - but Dubstar "Just a Girl".  Lovely tune, and I always felt sad it was such a minor hit compared with some of their others.



Number nine - Girls now a theme I jumped to "Sunday Girl" by Blondie.  Good stuff.




Blondie stuck with me for a couple of hours, but at some point this evening I realised I'd switched to Green Day - Good Riddance (Time of your Life).  Number ten:


So there we are - a musical day in my my brain.  I'm really not sure if its normal to have this level of infection, but its fairly typical for me.   Coming soon on the blog - an update on my crochet.  I've done a whole inch or so!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment